- The Department of Commerce was established in the year 1976 with B.Com., Degree Programme and it was upgraded as PG Department in the year 1982.
- In order to enrich the minds of the students, the Department has organised a Conference and a Symposium at National level. Three of our staff members have acted as Resource Persons in various seminars.
- Our staff members have presented 51 papers in various National, International Journals and Book chapters. Seven PG students have also participated in the National level Seminar and Conferences.
- The faculty members of the Department have been the Chairpersons and members of the Board of Studies in Periyar University and in Gobi Arts and Science College, Gobichettipalayam.
- The Faculty members have also acted as members of the Inspection Committee for various Colleges.
- Two scholars are pursuing their Ph.D. course.
- The Department has produced two M. Phil scholars.
To bridge the void between the inherent skills of students and the industrial expectations in the ever-changing and challenging Global Competitive Business Scenario.
To develop an in-depth knowledge by blending the subjects of Accounting, Banking, Insurance, Taxation, Marketing and Mercantile Law in a pragmatic manner so as to emerge as efficient Professionals, Entrepreneurs, Managers and Finance Experts.
- Dr. S.Gokila attended a Faculty Development Programme in 2013, NSS Orientation Training Programme and One day Zonal Level Orientation Programme for YRC in 2014.
- Dr. V.K.Sasikala, received a grant of Rs. 80,000 for her Minor Research Project during 2014-2016 from University Grants Commission.
- Dr. M.Boovathi and Dr. S.Thenmozhi attended a Faculty Development Programme at J.K.K. Nattraja College of Engineering and Technology, Komarapalayam, in 2017.
- National Level Symposium on “A Glimpse of Union Budget 2018” was organized on 21.02.2018 by the Department.
- The Department has produced an M.Phil Scholar in 2017-2018.