- The Department of English was established in the year 1974 with just four faculty members.
- Branch XII English Literature was introduced in 1981 and the Department expanded.
- In the Self-financing wing M.A., English was introduced in 2002, B.A English in 2008 and M. Phil in 2016. We have been guiding the Ph.D. candidates since 2007.
- The faculty members have published around 86 papers in various journals, seminar volumes and have published 4 books. Two of our students have presented papers in International Conference.
- The faculty members of the Department have been the Chairpersons and members of the Board of studies in Periyar University. Few of our faculty are members of the Board of studies in other Autonomous Colleges like Vellalar College for Women, Erode, Sri Sarada College for Women, Salem and Vivekanandha College of Arts and Science for Women, Elayampalayam.
- Five members of our Department have acted as Resource Persons in many Seminars and Conferences and have also acted as members of the Inspection Committee for various Colleges.
- The Department has organized a National Level Seminar and a State Level Workshop.
- The Department has 3 Ph.D guides and 5 M.Phil guides.
- The Department has produced 16 Ph.D and 25 M.Phil Scholars. Five research scholars have submitted their Ph.D thesis. At present nearly 18 Ph.D and
8 M.Phil scholars are pursuing their research.
- Many students from our Department are office bearers in various associations. They have brought laurels to the Department by winning in various competitions organized by various associations of our College and in other inter collegiate competitions.
- Many of our alumni are placed in renowned positions as gazetted officers and most of our students are working in Government Schools and Colleges and in reputed companies.
|Name of the Degree||Duration|
|B.A. English Literature||3 years|
To create a love for literature and language.
To improve the communicative skills of the students.
|S. No.||Faculty Name||Qualification||Designation||Download|
|1||Dr.P.Saraswathi||M.A.,M.Phil., B.Ed.,Ph.D||Principal||View Profile|
|2||Dr.T.S.Geetha||M.A.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.,PGDJMC||Associate Professor||View Profile|
|3||Dr.K.Radhai||M.A.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.,||Associate Professor||View Profile|
|4||Mrs.M.Eshwari||M.A.,M.Phil.,||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|5||Dr.R.Malathi||M.A.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.,||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|6||Dr.C.Bharathi||M.A.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.,||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|7||Dr.S.Sumathi||M.A.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.,||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
- Dr. K.Radhai won the prestigious title Creative Giant 2008 by the Home of Letters for her paper titled “Mirror of Submissive Soul” on September 15th 2008.
- Dr. T.S.Geetha won the consolation prize from Delhi Sahitya Academy for translating a poem of Vairamuthu in the year 2009.
- Dr. P. Saraswathi published a book entitled “Sin, Expiation and Remorse in the Select Novels of William Styron” in 2013-2014.
- The Department of English has completed 6 Minor Research Projects with the grant of Rs. 2,60,000/ funded by University Grants Commission .
- Dr. P. Saraswathi and Dr. K. Radhai published a book “Creative Writing” in 2013-2014.
- The Department has organized a National Level Seminar on 4th January, 2013 and a State Level Workshop on 5th January, 2015.
- Dr. T.S. Geetha published a book Voicing the Voiceless in 2016.
- Dr. C. Bharathi published a book Diaspora Allegiance in 2016.
- Dr. T.S. Geetha edited a book Interactive English (Foundation English) in 2018.
- Ms. G.Sharmila and K. Keerthana of I B.A. English presented papers in the International Conference conducted by Vivekanandha College of Arts and Science for Women, Tiruchengode on 6th March 2018.
- Dr.R.Malathi participated and presented a paper in the International conference at Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Malaysia.
- The Department has produced 16 Ph.D. Scholars.