- The Department of History was established in 1975 with B.A History. M.A. History was started in 1984, M. Phil. in 1988 and Ph.D in 2016.
- The faculty members of the Department have been the Chairpersons and members of the Board of Studies in Periyar University. They have also been the Academic Council Members in Periyar University. Few of our faculty are members of the Board of Studies in PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore and Sri Sarada College for Women, Salem.
- The Faculty members have also acted as members of the Inspection Committee for various Colleges.
- to promote research, the members of our Department have published many papers in Seminars and Conferences.
- Our Department has produced 100 M.Phil. Scholars. At present 2 Ph.D. and 3 M.Phil. Scholars are pursuing their research.
- 3 of our students have obtained University rank and many of our students are placed in higher positions in Government sectors.
To motivate the students to learn from the past to build a better life in the present.
To promote liberal education, to understand the society, culture, art and architecture and to teach the humane values.
- Dr. C.Sudalaimuth received the “Best Voluntary Blood Donation Camp Organizer Award” at the District level in the year 2013.
- Dr. P. Vennila received the “Best YRC Programme Officer Award” from Indian Red Cross Society for the year 2013-2014 and from GRABS Educational Charitable Trust for the year 2014-2015.
- Our M.Phil students Ms. K. Prema and P. Gokila secured IV and V Rank at the University in the year 2016.
- T. M.Tamilselvan of III B.A History won the “Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Award” from Tamil Semmozhi Kalai Valarchi Kazhagam, Kanchipuram District for his contribution to Tamil language in 2017.
- The Department has produced 67 M.Phil. Scholars.
|Year||No. of Scholars|