- The Department of Zoology was established in 1976. Subsequently, M.Sc, M.Phil and Ph.D programmes were started in 1979, 1984 and 2001 respectively.
- The faculty members of the Department have been the Chairpersons and members of the Board of Studies in Periyar University and Sri Sarada College for Women, Salem.
- The Faculty members have also acted as members of the Inspection Committee for various Colleges.
- The faculty members have published around 65 papers in various Journals, Book chapters and Magazines and 10 books.
- Few faculty members are members of the Editorial board of various Journals.
- The Department has produced around 100 M.Phil scholars and 3 Ph.D scholars.
- To enhance the research activity, our Department has organised a National Level Conference.
- Many of our students have participated in Seminars and Conferences and received awards for best paper presentations.
- Our students have brought credit to the Department and College by producing 39 University Ranks.
To instil respect for nature and promote knowledge of life science education.
To promote research and focus on applied Zoological studies.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- Understand the basic concepts and the scientific theories related to various scientific phenomena and their relevance in the day-to-day life.
- Knowledge of subjects such as invasive or endangered species, embryonic development in mammals and ageing in social insects lead to advances in medicine
- Understand the theory of evolution and the developed knowledge of Biological organisms and organization from molecules to cells.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- Helps to understand the evolution of animals, structure and behaviour.
- Be able to list the types of characteristics that makes an organism ideal for the study of biology.
- Students will be able to apply information from core subjects in the biological sciences, including cell biology, genetics, and evolution for their higher studies.
- Students will be able to implement the knowledge, skills and values of biological sciences into occupational pursuits, making them as eligible candidates in today’s job market.
MASTER OF SCIENCE
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- Understood the nature and basic concepts of cell biology, genetics, taxonomy, physiology, ecology and applied Zoology.
- Subjects such as invasive or endangered species, embryonic development in mammals and ageing in social insects, lead to advances in medicine to prevent disease amongst both animals and human beings.
- Developed knowledge on living organisms at several levels of Zoological and Biological organization from the molecular, through cells to whole organisms and ecosystems of evolutionary perspectives.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- Students gain knowledge and skill in the fundamentals of animal sciences, understand the complex interactions among various living organisms.
- Analyze complex interactions among the various animals of different phyla, their distribution and their relationship with the environment.
- Apply the knowledge of internal structure of cell and its functions in control of various metabolic functions of organisms.
- Understands the complex evolutionary processes and behaviour of animals.
- Correlates the physiological processes of animals and relationship of organ systems.
|S. No||Faculty Name||Qualification||Designation|
|1||Dr. S. UMAVATHI||M.Sc., Ph.D., PGDCA.,||Assistant Professor & Head||View Profile|
|2||Dr. Y. THANGAM||M.Sc., M.Phil., M.Ed., Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|3||Dr.R. SOWDESWARI||M.Sc., Ph.D.,||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|4||Dr. K.M. SYED ALI FATHIMA||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|5||Dr. P. MADHIYAZHAGAN||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D (Zoology)||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|6||Dr. S. UMAMAHESWARI||M. Sc., M. Phil., B. Ed., Ph. D.,||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|7||DR.K.SHENKANI||M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.,PGDBI., SET.,||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|8||Mr. S.KALAIMANI||M.Sc., M.phil., M.Ed., SET., SET (EDU)||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|9||Mrs. S.KOWSALYA||M.Sc., M.Ed., SET.,||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
- Dr. S. Umavathi, attended a Faculty Development Programme at Erode Sengunthar Engineering College in 2016.
- Ms. A.Thamaraiselvi, M.Phil scholar the Best Paper Presentation Award in the National Conference conducted at Michael Jobs College, Dindugal in 2016.
- Dr. Y.Thangam, Assistant Professor received the Best Paper Presentation Award and First Prize in the National Conference conducted at Kongu Nadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore in 2017.
- Dr. R. Sowdeshwari, Dr. P. Madhiyazhagan and Dr. K. Shenkani attended a Faculty Development Programme at J.K.K. Nattraja College of Engineering and Technology, Komarapalayam in 2017.
- Dr. K.M.Syed Ali Fathima, published a book entitled “Phytochemical Screening of Punica granatum to control vector Aedes Sp.,” in 2017.
- Dr. S. Umamaheswari, published a book entitled Biodiversity of Butterflies from four selected villages in Namakkal in 2017.
- Dr. Y. Thangam published three books entitled “Toxic effects of copper in hematological parameters to freshwater fish Cyprinnus carpio”, “Silver Nanoparticle and its effect in freshwater fish Cyprinnus carpio” and Mercury toxicity in Hormone level to freshwater fish Cirrhinus mrigala” in 2018.
- Dr. S. Umavathi and Dr. Y.Thangam, Assistant Professor, received the Best Paper Presentation Award at the International Conference conducted at Annamalai University in 2018.
- National level Conference on “Impact of Global Warming on Vector Borne Diseases” was organized on 16.02.2018 by the Department, in our College.
- Mr.S.Kalaimani and Mrs. S.Kowsalya, published a book entitled “A Text Book of Practical invertebrates” ISBN: 978-613-9-92841-5 in 2018.
- The Department has produced 36 M.Phil Scholars.
|Year||No. of Scholars|
LIST OF RANK HOLDERS