- The Department of Zoology was established in 1976. Subsequently, M.Sc, M.Phil and Ph.D programmes were started in 1979, 1984 and 2001 respectively.
- The faculty members of the Department have been the Chairpersons and members of the Board of Studies in Periyar University and Sri Sarada College for Women, Salem.
- The Faculty members have also acted as members of the Inspection Committee for various Colleges.
- The faculty members have published around 65 papers in various Journals, Book chapters and Magazines and 10 books.
- Few faculty members are members of the Editorial board of various Journals.
- The Department has produced around 100 M.Phil scholars and 3 Ph.D scholars.
- To enhance the research activity, our Department has organised a National Level Conference.
- Many of our students have participated in Seminars and Conferences and received awards for best paper presentations.
- Our students have brought credit to the Department and College by producing 39 University Ranks.
To instil respect for nature and promote knowledge of life science education.
To promote research and focus on applied Zoological studies.
- Dr. S. Umavathi, attended a Faculty Development Programme at Erode Sengunthar Engineering College in 2016.
- Ms. A.Thamaraiselvi, M.Phil scholar the Best Paper Presentation Award in the National Conference conducted at Michael Jobs College, Dindugal in 2016.
- Dr. Y.Thangam, Assistant Professor received the Best Paper Presentation Award and First Prize in the National Conference conducted at Kongu Nadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore in 2017.
- Dr. R. Sowdeshwari, Dr. P. Madhiyazhagan and Dr. K. Shenkani attended a Faculty Development Programme at J.K.K. Nattraja College of Engineering and Technology, Komarapalayam in 2017.
- Dr. K.M.Syed Ali Fathima, published a book entitled “Phytochemical Screening of Punica granatum to control vector Aedes Sp.,” in 2017.
- Dr. S. Umamaheswari, published a book entitled Biodiversity of Butterflies from four selected villages in Namakkal in 2017.
- Dr. Y. Thangam published three books entitled “Toxic effects of copper in hematological parameters to freshwater fish Cyprinnus carpio”, “Silver Nanoparticle and its effect in freshwater fish Cyprinnus carpio” and Mercury toxicity in Hormone level to freshwater fish Cirrhinus mrigala” in 2018.
- Dr. S. Umavathi and Dr. Y.Thangam, Assistant Professor, received the Best Paper Presentation Award at the International Conference conducted at Annamalai University in 2018.
- National level Conference on “Impact of Global Warming on Vector Borne Diseases” was organized on 16.02.2018 by the Department, in our College.
- The Department has produced 36 M.Phil Scholars.
|Year||No. of Scholars|
LIST OF RANK HOLDERS